Packed with delicious and nutritious superfoods, you’ll love the fresh flavors of this Spinach Salad with Strawberries and Avocado. The crunchiness of the toasted walnuts and raw pepitas complement the smooth and creamy avocado. Not only is this a tasty salad, but super quick to whip up.
I like to include this recipe in my work week lunch plan, especially in Spring when Strawberries are in season. I’m a huge fan of batch preparing my lunches before the week starts, so I tend to double up this recipe so it makes two lunches for the week. It’s great to alternate with heavier lunch recipes like this Orecchiette Pasta with Broccoli, Sun-dried Tomatoes and Toasted Walnuts.
- 2 Large handfuls of baby spinach (baby kale is also good!)
- Handful of strawberries, stemmed and sliced
- 1 Firm but ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and cubed
- 1/2 Can navy beans, rinsed and drained (use the full can if you love beans = lots of protein!)
- 1/4 C Raw walnuts, toasted
- 1/4 C Raw pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- Simple balsamic vinaigrette (see below)
1. Toast the walnuts while preparing the other ingredients.
2. Make the vinaigrette by whisking together 2 tablespoons olive oil with 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar and a dab of honey.
3. Combine the ingredients and toss with the vinaigrette when ready to eat. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Tips + Tricks
Toast the walnuts in a mini-oven for just a few minutes or in a pan. Keep an eye on them–they burn easily.
If preparing for a future meal, squeeze some lemon juice on the avocado chunks to prevent browning.
Make this recipe as a large dinner salad or two lunch salads.
p.s. Up for a challenge? Sign up here for the next 3-week healthy lunch challenge!